Balance

He has hurt me before. He turned me into a puppet without a voice. I forgot who I was and could no longer imagine what I could be. Now my shackles are broken and I'm blooming into a magnificent flower. I have my dream job, my dream son, and I'm experiencing new excitements. My instinct is to forgive and forget now that I am free. For the sake of my son, I wish forgetting is possible, but for my sake, I hold onto those dark memories. With those memories, I wish not to hate, but to learn. I will remember that I am worth more than a passing glance. I will remember that I am deserving of more than cruel words. I will remember that I write my own story and no one can steal away my pen. I remember the pain and rejection so I can move forward and learn to trust again. We are told to forgive and forget, and for the most part, I excel. However, how do I forgive fully without giving power back to my puppeteer? It's a balancing act. I can't give in to his tantrums, but politely, I must acknowledge his roll in my son's life. Although, he pushes against my freedom, I must respect his time and parenting style. If I teeter too far on the side of forgiveness, I risk being bound by his invisible strings and I'll be in his puppet show once more. On the other hand, if I drift too far to the side of ill feelings, I am bound to let the wounds fester. I will place myself and my son in my own prison of hate and misery. So on a tightrope I walk, carefully balanced, all the while fearing the next blast of wind that threatens to unhinge my focused steps and send me toppling to disaster.

Comments

  1. Writing your own reality is a really big responsibility that only the brave take on willingly. Very difficult within a flawed human mind to accomplish it. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This year

Growing Pains

Repeat