This year

When I think if what I achieved over the past year with my family, my heart is overwhelmed. The year before this, I was a single mother, struggling to keep both August and me happy, healthy, and alive. Life, as usual, was a challenge. However, I was blessed with a wonderful job caring for a man with down syndrome. Not only did that man with down syndrome become like a brother to me, but his mom became one of my best friends. I was happy but still missing something. It was hard to start working full time and still give August the attention he needed, especially while I was trying to date. August was a champion. We had deep conversations of our emotional trials. He became very articulate with his words and perceptive when I was struggling emotionally. He had to take care of me sometimes, which was hard for me to swallow, but it built our bond. I ended the last year with several suitors, but none faithful enough to take up being a father to my wonderful boy. 


Then, year 2020 started. I saw on Facebook that my ex boyfriend, Zack Terry, who I had dated 9 years previously, had posted a poem he had written for his mom. I left a simple comment that changed our lives. We began messaging each other. On Valentine's day, I nervously invited him over to meet up again after all those years. From there, our love was easy to build. Covid-19 hit so we were practically quarantined together. We didn't have many activities to do outside of the home so we just spent hours and hours talking. We found a spark we had never had, learned about each other's physical and mental disabilities, and Zack became close with August. He then proposed to me in front of a police officer while kneeling in a car. I said yes, several times. We had a beautiful civil wedding because temples were closed. 


August had been struggling pretty bad with going to his dad's house and, with Zack's support, I was finally brave enough to begin a long, overdue, fight for custody. We had an overwhelming amount of support and were able to secure a trusted lawyer. We then moved out of Heather's basement into our very own apartment. August named it "The good times place." 


We have been doing homeschooling with August and he has been making new friends. He is very interested in science and math, and he loves beatboxing. He is a very social boy who lights up any room he walks into. He has not been going to his dads house so he has felt more secure and stable. The rate he is learning is incredible. He is also learning the drums with Zack. Very recently, he has found a love for rollerblading. He also loves his pet hamster, Zen, very much.


Zack got off of opiates that he had been on since he was a young teenager. The drugs were causing many problems. It was scary to give them up and withdrawal has been brutal, but he is pushing through it. He has been focusing on his health, while at the same time, learning how to be an incredible step dad. He is superman. He doesn't let his pain stop him from being everything August and I need him to be.


I have been working and trying to write some books. I finished a first draft of a novel and started working on a second book about my own, personal experiences. I have been discovering my faith with new light and preparing myself to be sealed in the temple with my wonderful husband. I have been learning about my health and I'm devoted to becoming stronger mentally and physically. 


This past year has not been easy, but the growth in our lives is too much to share over a short update. I am so grateful to my family and to my Heavenly Father for helping us through our many challenges.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding My Smile

Anger is a Thief